Saturday, October 30, 2010

Quitters Never Prosper

Dear Family & Friends,

Today marks one month and four days that I have been in Park City. After taking note of the date and getting a lot of grief from others to actually post on the blog I set up my first week here, it was evident that I am long past due to stop making excuses and fill you in on my life as I have long intended.

Before I do that though, I have to thank and give credit to an old friend who unknowingly inspired this project when he offered the following words in correspondence about the elusive nature of growing up: “You have a great way with words, so if that is a path you are not considering, you may want to. If you love it of course. That is what is important. At least in my book – what’s money compared to desire right?” I have always loved to write, and short of having the balls (or, evidently, the poetic license) to readily pursue a career in writing, I figured this could fuel my interest for the time being. (In the few months since graduation, I have really grown to miss writing term papers. Sick, I know.)

Main Street, Oct. 16, 2010
The last month here has been much of a whirlwind. It has, after all, been four years since my first big move and I had forgotten just how much the boat is rocked when you switch environments. When you’re in foreign surroundings every task is a little more daunting, every roadblock a little more tragic. On the other hand, it also makes you much more cognizant of the positive things. I am so grateful to be meeting wonderful people and to be genuinely enjoying my time at work and in the new home Polly and I have pieced together. Any instance that I find myself knowing what direction I’m headed or an answer to a question at work, the relief is almost euphoric (comforting, in the least). Sometimes the things people say in everyday conversation sound outright alien – You're telling me I should pour salt on my snowy walkway? Purchase car lock de-icer, scrapers, and studded snow tires? … DRIVE TO WYOMING TO BUY A KEG??? (Not that I have ever had reason to purchase my own keg... but damned if I did.)

In short, the intensity of anything and everything is exponential when you’re “new” (take a fun moment to think back to your first days of college or work and breathe a sigh of relief you've moved beyond that uneasy point). Anyhow, I do have this heightened sense of alertness to thank for waking me out of my post-graduate lull. Back in August, I found myself in my first full-throttle thunderstorm while driving through Nebraska with Polly. Although I had been in a car for close to 10 hours, I felt this incredible alertness and energy-all from the novelty of experiencing something completely unfamiliar. I knew then that I had to feel the same simple exhiliration again sooner rather than later.

Guardsman's Pass, Oct. 16, 2010
I am enjoying learning about this town and seeing how I can somehow fit into the picture. At times I am homesick and ready to pack my bags for sunny Southern California, but at the end of the day I am happy to lay my head down in my mountain bedroom. It is a challenge I am taking well to for now.

It is going to be a stressful, joyful, confusing, eventful … remarkable growing year. Thank you in advance for being along for the ride. I could never have made this move without the knowledge that all of you are behind me.


I will keep you guys posted. Here are a couple "firsts" I've encountered so far:

My first hike in Utah (picture is a link to the album slideshow)
I titled this post "Quitters Never Prosper" because there were more than a few times I tried to get my friends to leave me behind on the trail. I just could not handle the ascent coupled with the high altitude... after a night of drinking. But I'm really glad they didn't-my pictures cannot do the 360 views of endless mountain tops justice.


My first time paintballing-Empire Pass team building activity

As was the case with my first hike, I soon learned that paintball is much more fun if you don't hang back and just move forward with no regard to pain.


All my love,
Jan 

No comments:

Post a Comment